Uncinaria stenocephala (northern hookworm) is a roundworm infection in dogs or other Canidae species. Uncinaria stenocephala (northern hookworm) infection can also be found in cats or humans. When a dog is infected, Uncinaria stenocephala (northern hookworm) will cause anemia, weight loss, poor hair coat, dehydration, diarrhea, tarry diarrhea or death.
In 1884, Railliet described the characteristics and classified Uncinaria stenocephala as a hookworm in dogs.
When Uncinaria stenocephala become adult, Uncinaria stenocephala can be found in the small intestine. But when Uncinaria stenocephala larvae move out from the intestine, Uncinaria stenocephala can be found in the skin, circulatory system, lung, bronchus, and esophagus.
- Poor hair coat
- Tarry diarrhea
- Weight loss
Puppies that get Uncinaria stenocephala infected will have anemia, not growing properly, poor hair coat, dehydration, diarrhea, tarry diarrhea. Puppies that have a large number of Uncinaria stenocephala in the system will have anemia with normal red blood cells due to iron deficiency. These animals may die from Uncinaria stenocephala infections immediately.
Treatment and Prevention
Uncinaria stenocephala can be treated by giving a dewormer and for treatment, be careful for Uncinaria stenocephala to not let the pet eats or licks anything in risky areas. Pets should be in an environment that is not risky to get infected from Uncinaria stenocephala such as concrete floors, and cats should be separated from Uncinaria stenocephala infected dogs.
- Wikipedia | Information of Uncinaria stenocephala
- Aavp | Uncinaria stenocephala
- Parasitipedia | UNCINARIA STENOCEPHALA, parasite of DOGS and CATS.
- Vetstream | Uncinaria stenocephala
- Wikivet | Uncinaria stenocephala
- Intestinal Parasites - Hookworms". Companion Animal Parasite Council. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- Schimmel, A., I. Schroeder, G. Altreuther, T. Settje, S. Charles, S. Wolken, D.J. Kok, J. Ketzis, D. Young, D. Hutchens, K.J. Krieger. 2011. Efficacy of Emodepside plus oltrazuril (Procox® Oral Suspension for Dogs) against Toxocara canis, Uncinaria stenocephala and Ancylostoma caninum in Dogs. Parasitol. Res. 109: S1–S8.
- Schimmel, A., I. Schroeder, G. Altreuther, T. Settje, S. Charles, S. Wolken, D.J. Kok, J. Ketzis, D. Young, D. Hutchens, K.J. Krieger. 2011. Efficacy of Emodepside plus Praziquantel Tablets (Profender® Tablets for Dogs) against Mature and Immature Adult Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala Infections in Dogs. Parasitol. Res. 109: S9–S16.
- Wasyl, K., A.Z. Deniziak, P. Baska, H. Wedrychowicz and M. Wisniewski. 2013. Molecular cloning and expression of the cDNA sequence encoding a novel aspartic protease from Uncinaria stenocephala. Experimental Parasitology.134: 220–227.