Elbow Dysplasia Is heredity In various breeds of dogs; it is caused by abnormal development of the dog elbow which occurs in dogs that are growing and developing, There are skin lesions at the cartilage and around that area. These abnormalities are what cause elbow deterioration. Most of the skin lesions are related to Osteoporosis or Arthritis.
Since 1960, veterinarians found the treatment and reported about the Osteoarthritis. And later claimed that this is a major problem in many animals, although it usually occurs in young animals but it will affect them permanently.
Abnormal development of the elbow causes this disease. It will affect the growth of animals and the development of cartilage or the structure around the joints.
Symptoms that can be observed are as follows :
- legs weak
- Abnormality in the front legs.
- Hesitate to step, walk or run, don't want to do activities that require exercise
- Swelling around the elbow
- Reduce movement
Elbow dysplasia often occurs in dogs between the ages of 4-12 months. Some cases may not show symptoms until they grow up.
Treatment and Prevention
For the treatment, Elbow Dysplasia in dogs will receive painkillers and at the age of 12-18 months, the symptoms will improve. Diet is another way to help alleviate the pain from Elbow Dysplasia. In severe cases, surgery may be required to change joints or correct the positions of bones and joints.
- Wikipedia | Elbow dysplasia
- ACVS | Canine Elbow Dysplasia
- PET MD | Abnormal Development of the Elbow in Dogs
- Gary Clayton Jones BVetMed DSAO DVR FRCVS. 2017. Elbow dysplasia in dogs. Matthew Pead and Sue Guthrie, published in You & Your Vet magazine . 1 : 1-4.
- Matthew J. Pead, and Sue Guthrie. 1960. Elbow dysplasia in dogs - a new scheme Explained. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 5(1) : 1-8.