Eye proptosis in dogs and cats
Eye proptosis is a condition in which the eye falls out of the eye socket. It can found in dogs and cats. Severe cases can cause rupture in the globe of the eye and shock.
Eye proptosis usually occurs in small dogs that have a flat-faced breeds and outstanding eyes. In cats, it often occurs in small cats caused by a fight with larger animals.
The most common cause of Eye proptosis in dogs and cats is the head or face injuries. Having a tumor or severe infection can cause the eye to move, causing the eye to fall out of the socket, resulting in Eye proptosis.
- Eyeball to fall out of the eye orbit
- Rupture in the globe of the eye
- Abnormal pupil
- Eye is bulging
- Inflammation eye
- Inner eye hemorrhage
- Ulcer on the cornea
Eye proptosis in dogs and cats will cause the eyeball to fall out of the eye orbit, enlarged iris or abnormal pupil, ulcer on the cornea, inflammation eye, bleeding from the eyes (Inner eye hemorrhage), rupture in the globe of the eye (broken eyes), and shock.
Treatment and Prevention
The treatment for Eye proptosis in dogs and cats is to restore the eyes to normal position by surgery. Eye proptosis in dogs and cats cannot prevent.
- Petmd | Eye Displacement in Cats
- Petmd | Eye Displacement in Dogs
- Pet Place | Eye Proptosis in Cats
- Pet Place | Eye Proptosis in Dogs
- ResearchGate | Management of Traumatic Ocular Proptosis in a Pug
- Vet Stream | Orbit / globe: proptosis / prolapse
- Wag! | Eye Proptosis in Dogs
- Honestdocs | Eye Proptosis in Dogs (Thai version)
- Adeyanju, J.A., J.B. Raji, A.A. Yakubu and S. Buhari. 2009. Acute-Traumatic Proptosis in a Four-Year Old Nigerian Dog: A Case Report. Nigerian Veterinary Journal. 29(4): 50-53.
- Gómez, A.P. 2017. Traumatic proptosis in a pug. Vet Times (The website for the veterinary profession). Pp.1-4.
- Kumar, A., R.R. Rohi, P. Pawar and P. Kumar. 2016. Management of Traumatic Ocular Proptosis in Cat. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology. 5(3): 1163 – 1166.
- Morgan, R.V. 2011. Proptosis of the Eye. Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier Inc.
- Singh, J., I. Nath, S. Sethy, T. Sahu, M. Sahoo and A. Pattnaik. 2013. Enucleation for Management of Chronic Case of Traumatic Proptosis in a Cat. Indian Journal of Canine Practice. 5(1): 154-156.